What Is The Definition Of A New York State Resident For The Purpose Of The Excelsior Scholarship
To be a NYS resident for purposes of receiving this award, applicants who consider NYS their permanent home and who are either a U.S. citizen, qualified paroled refugee, or permanent resident alien must have resided in New York State for 12 continuous months prior to the term for which the award is being sought.
Applicants who qualify for the award under the NYS DREAM Act must meet one of the eligible citizenship/immigration classifications as well as the high school or tuition charge requirements.
Agreement To Reside In New York State
Recipients of the Excelsior Scholarship must reside exclusively in New York State and shall not be employed in any other state for the same number of years as the student received the Excelsior Scholarship. If the student fails to live in NYS for the required length of time, or if the student works in another state, the Excelsior Scholarship will be converted to an interest-free student loan .
Do I Have To Take A Certain Number Of Credits To Be Eligible
A: Students must enroll full-time in a New York public college or university.
For any student receiving the Excelsior Scholarship they must enroll in a minimum of 12 credits per semester applicable to the students degree program and to continue to be eligible, he/she must continue to successfully complete 30 credits per year toward their degree program. Remedial credits cannot count toward full time or the 30 credit hours.
Exceptions exist for students meeting ADA definitions and students in EOP .
A: Yes. Current students, must be enrolled full-time and have successfully completed 30 college credits toward their major each year prior to applying for the Excelsior Scholarship.
Recommended Reading: Vip Women In Technology Scholarship
Filling Out The Tap Application Step
- Review the preprinted information carefully. Be sure that every single item is correct — because errors or omissions will potentially delay your award. and, if applicable, on TAP data from past years.)
- If the preprinted information is correct, do NOT make changes. If it is incorrect, use blue or black ink in THE ANSWER SHOULD BE column to correct the error.
- Enter data where you see “Enter Correct Data.”
- Sign the back of the form, under Section G.
- Keep a copy of your application and these instructions for future reference.
- Mail the completed application to HESC in the envelope provided. If the envelope has been misplaced, return the form to: HESC, PO Box 15135, Albany, NY 12212-5135.
- If you need to change information after sending in your application, you can make changes online by visiting your HESC account through Student Access. For additional information, schedule an appointment to speak with HESC, or contact the Financial Aid Officer at your school.
New York State Tuition Assistance Program
The New York State Tuition Assistance Program helps eligible New York residents pay tuition at approved schools in New York State. Depending on the academic year in which you begin study, an annual TAP award can be up to $5,165. Because TAP is a grant, it does not have to be paid back.
TAP Applications are available for 2022-2023.
FIT’s New York State Tuition Assistance Program Codes are:
- Lower Division – 2070
- Upper Division – 0975
Full-time eligibility requirements involve three factors:
If you fail to meet satisfactory progress or program pursuit, the regulations allow for one waiver during your undergraduate career, if there was an extenuating circumstance. The waiver will become part of your records and you are expected to make satisfactory progress thereafter. The waiver is not automatically given and you must apply and be approved. More detailed information and waiver forms are available at Financial Aid Services, Dubinsky Student Center, Room A212A.
For more information on Satisfactory Academic Progress for TAP students:
Also Check: How To Get Full Tuition Scholarships
Facts About Excelsior Scholarship
Governor Andrew Cuomos plan to establish the Excelsior Scholarship program, which the governor billed as the nations first offer of tuition-free two- and four-year education to the middle class, was adopted by the New York State Legislature in April 2017.
The State University of New York and City University of New York committed to waiving tuition for undergraduate students from state resident families with gross yearly incomes up to $125,000, which was 184 per cent of the statewide household median in 2018.
Cuomos office estimated that 940,000 New York families with college-aged children would be eligible, but the programs limitations and conditions ensured that the number of real scholarship recipients would be substantially fewer.
Therefore, it is a financial aid program run by the state of New York that provides free tuition to students attending either a State University of New York or a City University of New York institution.
If students and potential students are qualified, SUNY Empire State College encourages them to take part. The prize is limited to $5,500 per year and can only cover tuition costs.
Eligibility For Excelsior Scholarships:
To receive the maximum Excelsior Scholarship, an applicant must have or expect to receive a New York State Tuition Assistance Program award or federal Pell grant for the academic year. To be eligible for Excelsior Scholarship award payments, you must have completed two years of full-time undergraduate study in an associates degree program, four years of full-time undergraduate study in a bachelors degree program, or five years if the program of study normally requires five years in a bachelors degree program. During the time period covered by the award, you must remain a resident of New York State. Your award will be converted to a no-interest loan if you dont meet these requirements.
Read Also: Scholarships For Women In Data Science
Section B: Financial Independence
- If you were born on or before June 30, 1987 you are considered financially independent: skip Items 34 through 50.
- If you were born between July 1, 1987 and June 30, 2000, your financial independence status depends on the answers to items 21 through 24. See the instructions to these items above.
- If you were born on or after July 1, 2000, your status depends on the answers to Items 21 through 24. To be considered financially independent, you must answer NO to these items and be able to document that you meet one of the following conditions:
- Your parents are deceased, totally and permanently disabled, or declared incompetent.
- You are a ward of the court.
- You are receiving Public Assistance .
- Your family has been involuntarily dissolved, resulting in relinquishment of your parents’ responsibility and control.
- You were married on or before December 31, 2020 or
- You are enrolled as a graduate student for the 2022-2023 academic year or
- You received a TAP award as a financially independent student in a prior academic year.
IMPORTANT: If you are not sure whether financial independence will be approved, complete Sections D, E, and F, and have your parents sign the Affirmation in Section G. Failure to report parental income will delay your award if you do not qualify for financial independence.
25. Answer YES if you are a Foster Youth, Ward of the Court, or Orphan at or after age 13.
Ny State Residency And Employment Requirements
Recipients of the Excelsior Scholarship must sign a contract agreeing to live in New York State for a continuous number of years equal to the duration of the awards received and, if employed during this period, to be employed in New York State.
- Failure to meet these requirements within six months of receipt of the final payment will convert all award funds received to a 10-year student loan without interest.
- The requirements may be deferred in order for the student to complete undergraduate or graduate study, including medical residency, on at least a half-time basis.
- Students who lose eligibility for the Excelsior Scholarship while still enrolled may count non-funded years of enrollment towards the years of required residency in the state.
- The amount of funds converted to a loan may be prorated based on the length of time the student complied with the requirement.
Also Check: How Do I Look For Scholarships
Calculation Of Awards And Certification
Award amounts will be calculated by the SUNY-ESF Office of Financial Aid once all application requirements have been met and award data has been received from NY HESC. These amounts will be estimated and subject to change throughout the semester until the certification process is complete. Possible causes for changes in award amounts include, but are not limited to:
- the student receiving a new scholarship or grant
- changes in enrollment which drop the student below the minimum requirements
- failure to complete the required number of credits in a term or in the students award year
- changes in application data made by the student, the College, or through the verification process with HESC.
SUNY-ESFis required to defer each recipients award amount on the College bill,but awards are not certified until the end of each term. Astudent who fails to meet an award requirement at the end of a term maylose the award and the amount will be owed back to SUNY-ESF. Astudent who fails to meet a requirement at the end of the studentsaward year will lose the second term payment and the amount will beowed back to SUNY-ESF.
Example 2: A student has successfully completed 12 credits of required coursework in each of the fall and spring semesters, but does not complete the remaining 6 required credits by the end of the summer. The spring semester Excelsior Scholarship would not be certified and the funds would be owed back to the College.
How To Calculate The Excelsior Scholarship Awards Estimate
To determine a students estimated annual Excelsior Scholarship award amount, the 201617 resident tuition rate charged by SUNY or the current resident tuition rate will be reduced by the amount of all other student financial aid awards which an applicant has or will receive for the 2020-2021 academic year, excluding any awards for college work study or federal or private student loans made by a lending institution.
In addition, no deduction should be made for any award that is exclusively designated for a non-tuition expense, such as housing, books, computer equipment. The Excelsior Scholarship and Excelsior Tuition Credit will cover any remaining tuition liability up to $6,470 . An Excelsior tuition credit will cover any remaining tuition liability that exceeds $6,470.
If a student receives any of the following assistance , the amount of the aid received must be subtracted from the 2016-17 annual tuition:
Note: Student loans are not deducted from the annual tuition.
An Excelsior recipient attending a SUNY four-year college receives a $500 Pell Grant, a $500 TAP award, and $750 in College Work Study.
The calculation for the annual Excelsior Scholarship award will be as follows:
2016-17 Tuition: $6,470
Don’t Miss: Scholarships For Us Permanent Residents
Apply For Nys Excelsior Scholarship
Families whose adjusted gross income is $125,000 or less should consider applying for the New York State Excelsior Scholarship. A separate application MUST be completed to receive this award. Current Excelsior Scholarship recipients do not need to re-apply.
The application for new fall applicants usually opens in Once the application closes we recommend that you sign up at New York State Higher Education Services Corporation to be notified when the application becomes available again for future semesters.
For Help Or Information
- Your most important resources are your high school guidance counselor and college Financial Aid Officer. The Financial Aid Officer can reprint the TAP Application and Change Forms and help you make corrections.
- To inquire about the status of your award — or to ask general questions about TAP — schedule an appointment to speak with HESC, or visit us on-line at www.HESC.ny.gov.
- For all other specific inquiries, write to: HESC, Division of Grants and Scholarships, 99 Washington Avenue, Albany, NY 12255
The Excelsior Scholarship Program
Application Deadline: August 31, 2022
The Excelsior Scholarship, in combination with other student financial aid programs, allows students to attend a SUNY or CUNY college tuition-free.
The Excelsior Scholarship application for the 2022-23 academic year is now open for new applicants. Current Excelsior Scholarship recipients should not complete this application.
Fall Trimester 2023 Starts August 28 2023
Fall 15 Week Term
|Late Registration Closes at 11:59 pm ET
|Grades Posted to SIS and Web
Fall I 8-Week Term Starts August 28, 2023
|Late Registration Closes at 11:59 pm ET
|Registration for INL*102 Closes
|Grades Posted to SIS and Web
Fall II 8-Week Term Starts October 23, 2023
|Late Registration Closes at 11:59 pm ET
|Registration for INL*102 Closes
Excelsior Scholarship Program 2022
Excelsior Scholarship 2022-2023 are now accepting online applications from all qualified students. In conjunction with other student financial assistance programs. The Excelsior Scholarship permits students to attend a SUNY or CUNY institution tuition-free.
A recipient of an Excelsior Scholarship is eligible to receive award payments for no more than two years of full-time undergraduate study in a programme leading to an associates degree. Or four years of full-time undergraduate study, or five years if the programme of study normally requires five years, in a programme leading to a bachelors degree.
Furthermore, a student who is not on schedule to complete an Associates degree in two consecutive years or a Bachelors degree in four consecutive years. Which requires completion of the equivalent of 30 credits per academic year can catch up on credits to become eligible for an Excelsior Scholarship. If you successfully gain extra credits during a term or academic year and get back on schedule to finish your degree on time. Also, you will be eligible for an Excelsior Scholarship for the duration of your undergraduate degree programme. You may also check: Excelsior Scholarship 2022
Leading The Way To College Affordability
We’ve made college tuition-free for middle class New Yorkers.
With the passage of the FY 2018 State Budget, New York is now home to the nation’s first accessible college program – The Excelsior Scholarship.
Under this groundbreaking program, more than 940,000 middle-class families and individuals making up to $125,000 per year will qualify to attend college tuition-free at all CUNY and SUNY two- and four-year colleges in New York State. The new program begins in the fall of 2017 and will be phased in over three years.
In order to apply, students must:
– Be residents of New York State- Plan to attend SUNY or CUNY two- or four-year college- Complete 30 credits per year towards their program of study – Plan to live and work in New York following graduation for the length of time they participate in the scholarship program
Don’t Miss: Scholarships For Older Female Graduate Students
The Excelsior Scholarship Is Leading The Way To College Affordability
The Excelsior Scholarship provides tuition awards to eligible students attending New York State’s public colleges and universities . This scholarship, in combination with other student financial aid programs, allows students to attend a SUNY college tuition-free.
The deadline for Fall 2022 has passed.The Excelsior Scholarship application for Fall 2023 will open next spring.
Download the .
The Excelsior Scholarship applies to tuition only and does not cover the other costs of college. To learn more about other college expenses such as fees, room and board, textbooks, and more, .
To meet eligibility requirements, an applicant must:
To learn more about the eligibility requirements and to apply for the Excelsior scholarship go to: www.hesc.ny.gov/excelsior.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you receive a federal or NYS grant or scholarship, including a federal Pell Grant, a NYS Tuition Assistance Program grant or scholarships for tuition or not designated for other costs, you must use those first. After those forms of aid are applied, the Excelsior Scholarship will cover the remaining cost of tuition.
The Excelsior Scholarship covers tuition only. You would be responsible for college fees and other costs such as room and board.
How Much Can I Receive From The Excelsior Scholarship
An Excelsior Scholarship recipient can receive up to the cost of full-time enrollment from the Excelsior Scholarship, minus any amounts received for TAP, Pell, New York City Merit Scholarship or other scholarships. The remainder of your tuition charge will be covered through a tuition credit paid through CUNY.
Recommended Reading: Occupational Therapy Scholarships 2022-2023
Q What Is The Processing Timeline/steps To Receive An Excelsior Scholarship Award
The Excelsior Scholarship process is as follows:
- Student submits an application to the New York State Higher Education Services Corporation.
- Other required documents to be submittedto HESC.
- HESC performs income eligibility check and sends a roster of those potentially eligible to theschool.
- The school receives and verifies prior college credit eligibility and reports the results to HESC.Generally, the student must be on track to graduate within 4 years of their first matriculation
- HESC negotiates a contract with eligible students. When the contract is returned to HESC, anaward roster is sent to the school.
- The school posts the Excelsior Scholarship Award to the students record and notifies thestudent of any aid adjustments.