Efwa Undergraduate Scholarship Program
- Be a female US citizen attending an accredited US school pursuing an accounting degree.
- Demonstrate commitment to the goal of pursuing a degree in accounting in preparation for a career as an accounting or finance professional, including evidence of continued commitment to this goal after receiving the award.
- Demonstrate aptitude in accounting and business as evidenced by prior course work and/or work experience.
- Show clear evidence that goals and a plan for achieving those goals, both personal and professional, have been established.
- Demonstrate financial need.
The EFWA Undergraduate Scholarship Program provides a great lineup of scholarship options courtesy of The Educational Foundation for Women in Accounting. This series of offers provides winning recipients with tuition coverage of up to $16,000 based on the specific scholarship being awarded. In all, there are six, different scholarships offered by the EFWA through their website.
College Scholarships And Grants For Single Mothers
In addition to childrearing, household responsibilities, and providing for the family, single mothers who want to go to college have a whole new list of responsibilities. For most of us, this is an impossible feat, but single moms always find a way to make it work. According to Raise the Nation, an organization dedicated to helping single mothers who want to continue their education, nearly 38% of single mothers live at or below the poverty level. Single moms with at least a bachelors degree are five times less likely to find themselves in dire financial states, which is why it is important for returning students who are single parents to find money for college and get that degree.
Considering how much it costs to raise a family, single mothers looking to go to college need financial aid. Luckily, countless organizations recognize that single parents need help paying for school. That is why a lot of college scholarships and grants were created specifically for single mothers. These scholarships help single moms afford the education they need to create a secure financial future for themselves and their children.
Take a look at the scholarship opportunities for single mothers. For more scholarship information about single-parent scholarship programs, as well as other programs, conduct a free college scholarship search at Scholarships.com.
The Family Scholarship Fund
Provider: The American Society of Safety Professionals Foundation
- Enrolled or planning to enroll in a college or university
- Child of a parent who died in a workplace incident
Application Requirements: Transcript, essay
As part of their mission to support those in occupational safety or health careers, the American Society of Safety Professionals Foundation created the Family Scholarship Fund. The fund works to offset college costs for students who have lost a parent in a workplace incident. The award amount varies by year and financial need. Because application requirements are fairly open-ended , the selection committee considers each application on an individual basis. For the best chance of winning, write an essay detailing how the loss of your parent affected your life.
You May Like: Scholarships For Salutatorians In Texas
Hewlett Packard Scholarship And Mentorship For Women In Partnership With The University Of The People
Who they are: The University of the People is the first accredited, tuition-free, online university. The new Hewlett Packard Enterprise is an information technology and services company. It creates technology that helps their customers transform lives and industries, and make the world a better place.
What they offer: 100 two-year scholarships.
Scholarship eligibility: Must be a female student in one of the University of the Peoples associate degree programs.
Ford Opportunity Program Oregon And California Schools
School: Oregon and California Schools
Offered through the Ford Family Foundation, the Ford Opportunity Program was originally created for single moms but is now open to all parents of any age as well as adults ages 25 and under. This program awards nearly 100 scholarships each year to students from Oregon and Siskiyou County, Oregon. To be eligible, single parents must meet the following criteria:
- Enrolled in an associates or bachelors degree program
- Full-time enrollment
- Enrollment at a public or nonprofit private school in the students state of residence
- At least one year of school remaining
This generous scholarship for single parents covers up to 90% of outstanding college expenses for each recipient.
An institutional scholarship for single mothers, the Beatrice F. Kroesche Memorial Scholarship is awarded to University of Utah students who major in Education or English. Eligibility requirements for this $1,000 to $2,000 financial aid award include:
- Full-time course load
- Enrollment in the College of Education or Department of English
The number of scholarships awarded each year varies. Single parents, whether moms or dads, are encouraged to apply.
Value: $1,000-$2,000 annually
- Parent of a child under the age of 18
- Single head of household tax filing status
- Financial need at or near poverty
- Pell grant recipient or applicant
Students who wish to renew the scholarship can do so each semester that they qualify.
You May Like: Masters Of Social Work Scholarships
Patsy Takemoto Mink Scholarship
- Be a low-income single mother in pursuit of higher education.
For a chance at up to $5,000 in scholarship monies, single mothers are certainly recommended to apply to the Patsy Takemoto Mink Scholarship if eligible. If you are a low-income single mother in pursuit of higher education, you are likely eligible. August 1st marks the annual deadline to apply for this offer.
P Single Parent Scholarship Fund
- Must be a single parent.
- Must live in the state of Arkansas or in Bowie County, TX.
- Must be a legal US resident with a previous GPA of at least 2.0.
- Must be planning to attend an ASPSF-approved school or training program.
The 1P Single Parent Scholarship Fund is a great offer that has been actively extended for 30 years now. For those living in the State of Arkansas or in Bowie County, TX this fund can help pay for significant portions of your upcoming college education. Chances to win this one come in both spring and fall every year.
You May Like: Troy Military And Family Scholarship
Scholarships For Single Moms 2022
Bethel Foundation Grace Scholarship Fund
Soroptimist Live Your Dream Award
Kickass Single Mom Stimulus Grant
Bernal-Mora & Nickolaou Annual Single Parent Scholarship
Patsy Mink Foundation
Jeffrey Isaiah David Memorial Scholarship
WIFLE Scholarship Program
While pursuing additional education or starting a business can be a balancing act for single moms, its also one of the best things you can do for your family. Are you ready to take your career or ambitions to the next level? There are many organizations dedicated to helping you do just thatin the form of scholarships and grants! After wading through hundreds of available opportunities, weve compiled the top grants and scholarships for single moms.
Great Scholarships For Single Moms
The best scholarships for single moms are those that provide understanding and generous support, financially and beyond when possible. Single mothers are an important part of the national workforce and economy, and access to a great education is as important to this part of the population as it is to any other. Connecting you with the sponsors that care, here is our list of 45 great scholarship options for single moms today.
- Must be residents of Oregon or Siskiyou County, California.
- Must be single parents with custody of dependent children filing as head of household with the IRS.
- Must be students who have a high school diploma or GED or about to complete high school or continuing college.
- Must be students seeking an associate or bachelors degree.
- Must be students with at least one year remaining in their degree program.
- Must be students who plan to enroll full-time in their state of residence.
The Ford Opportunity Program honors the late Hallie E. Ford and founder of the Ford Family Foundation. This generous gift offers select single parents with up to 90-percent of total tuition coverage in the pursuit of a college degree. Up to 50 students are chosen for this excellent scholarship each year.
Don’t Miss: Scholarships For Women In Texas
Get More Scholarships Delivered To You With Going Merry
Losing a parent either to death or to personal circumstances can come with unimaginable grief, not to mention serious financial hardship. Thats especially true if you grew up in a low-income community. Only having one breadwinner can make pursuing a college education more difficult, but it doesnt have to prevent you from receiving your degree. Thanks to the growing number of scholarship opportunities for children from single-parent homes, financial assistance is within reach.
If you need help keeping track of application deadlines, making sense of financial aid, or finding other relevant scholarships, Going Merry has you covered. Our intuitive, easy-to-use platform curates awards just for you based on your financial need, personal preferences, and interests.Simplify your scholarship search and application process by signing up for Going Merry today.
Why Are Financial Aid Efforts Essential For Single Moms
Approximately 22% of all undergraduates are parents, equivalent to about 3.8 million students attending college while also having to provide financial support to their dependent children. Of those 3.8 million students, 70%, or roughly 2.7 million are mothers, including 1.7 million single moms.
Community colleges are the most popular institutions among single-parent students, with 42% of single parents attending community college. Additionally, of the women that attend community college, 21% are single moms.
Unfortunately, only 28% of single moms received their undergraduate degree or certificate within six years. The main culprit? Financial stress. Approximately 43% of single-mom students work 30 or more hours per week to help pay for college.
These mothers must also find suitable childcare, many settling on daycare, which costs anywhere from $4,000 to $13,000 annually. Itâs no wonder then that more than 60% of single moms in college live at or below the federal poverty level. Simply put, they need more help.
Scholarships are a valuable resource for anyone trying to pay for college. However, scholarships alone arenât likely to be enough. Federal student aid and loan programs are the next best thing. Approximately 66% of students apply for the Federal Application for Student Financial Aid, also known as the FAFSA.
Read Also: Scholarships For Twins In Texas
Do I Have To Have A High Gpa To Apply
This can be a concern for single mothers who may have left school previously or had low grades due to extenuating circumstances in the past. Fortunately, many of the scholarship and grant opportunities that we covered above are based on need and not your GPA.
Editorial Listing ShortCode:
While you may be selected for these financial aid awards based on your current financial situation and circumstances, make sure that you check the fine print of each scholarship or grant your receive. Some may require that you maintain a certain GPA or credit load throughout your educational journey in order to maintain your financial aid.
Jeannette Rankin Womens Scholarship Fund
Who they are: In 1916, Jeannette Rankin became the first woman to be elected to the US congress. In her will, she dedicated part of her fortune to help mature women to get an education. Her friends and personal assistant created this fund to fulfill her wishes.
What they offer: While theres no specification regarding how much each woman can receive, in the past 40 years, the organization has granted scholarships to over 900 women an overall total of $2 million.
Scholarship eligibility: You must be a woman, 35 years old or older, a US citizen or permanent resident, and have a low annual income.
Recommended Reading: Sample Letter Of Recommendation Scholarship
Ways To Save Money For College
You can improve your financial reach to afford school by saving money for college by leveraging the following:
- Budgeting helps you get control of your money and tell it what to do. With YNAB, you can use a proven method to manage and save money. Start your free trial today to learn how to set money aside for school.
- Selling jewelry with Cash For Gold USA or Worthy is a way to earn top-dollar for unwanted rings, earrings, watches and other jewelry you might have laying around the house. Both offer fast turnaround of funds which you can tuck away for education expenses.
- Starting a side hustle is a surefire way to generate more income. Consider attending free workshops by Bookkeepers.com to learn how to earn $30+ per hour as a bookkeeper from home. Proofreading is also an excellent career that does not require a degree or experience to earn $20+/hour.
Taking on student loans may be required, and when managed, can be a smart move. Work building your credit score or repairing bad credit both of which can help you qualify for student loans. This may include consolidating your debt into a 0% credit card.
Nancy A Hardesty Memorial Scholarship
- Be a college senior or graduate student in pursuit of a religion or theology degree.
- Exemplify good overall morals and values.
Christian Feminism Today, previously popularly known as the Evangelical and Ecumenical Womens Caucus, is the provider of the Nancy A. Hardesty Memorial Scholarship. Hardesty herself was a much-beloved, founding member of the organization. In her honor, this scholarship annually awards a college senior or grad student studying in religion or theology with a $1,000 award.
- Must be a major in science or nursing with a GPA of 2.5 or higher.
- Must be a single parent with the ability to demonstrate financial need.
The Dorothy Montgomery Scholarship was first established in 1997 in honor of the late Dorothy Montgomery and has helped many students to achieve their educational goals since. All chosen recipients of this scholarship award go on to receive a $500 tuition credit. December 1st marks the annual deadline to apply for this opportunity.
Recommended Reading: Fully Funded Agriculture Scholarships 2021
A Guide For Single Moms
Single mothers comprise a growing segment of the college student body, so this non-traditional student group is starting to get more attention from organizations that offer scholarships. Juggling family responsibilities, work, and school presents unique challenges, so some financial aid is reserved for working adults and parents. Non-traditional college students have historically been at a disadvantage, operating in a higher education financial aid system that favors recent high-school graduates. Educational trends are creating a greater need for financial support among college students who are returning to higher education including single mothers.
Economic conditions are supporting a globalization of the workforce, so a trend among older individuals is to re-engage with higher education. Single mothers, and other adults who are retraining to launch renewed careers are increasingly assisted by scholarships, grants and loans for single parents returning to college.
Each financial aid quest begins with the Free Application for Federal Student Aid . The form is submitted online and requires that you have your tax returns and other paperwork available during completion. Once your FAFSA is reviewed, you will receive information regarding your EFC . This important calculation represents the amount your family is expected to contribute to your education. You may receive information regarding your eligibility for PELL Grants.
Dymond Shantyl Dantzler Legacy Scholarship
- Must be a single parent residing in Maryland.
- Must have 100 hours of verifiable community service and a minimum GPA of 3.0.
- Must be a graduating high school senior already accepted to an accredited US college.
The Dymond Shantyl Dantzler Legacy Scholarship is an honorary offer in the name of the late Dymond Shantyl Dantzler. In her name, winners will receive a one-time $1,000 tuition award. Apply by the annual May 5th deadline for your chance at consideration here.
You May Like: Apply For Full Ride Scholarships
Custody X Change Single Parent Scholarship
The Custody X Change Giving Fund awards three scholarships to single parents annually.
To be eligible, applicants must be a full-time student attending an accredited college or university. In addition, applicants must have a 3.0 GPA or higher. The application process also involves submitting a 400- to 500-word essay about “How you will use your education to improve your family.”
Tuition And Fee Exemption For Children Of Deceased Or Disabled Veterans Grant
Amount: Full tuition and fees
Provider: State of Indiana
- Enrolled or planning to enroll in a college or university
- Under the age of 33
- Child of a U.S. armed-forces member who died or was permanently disabled in the line of duty
Application Requirements: Completed FAFSA®, student aid report
Unlike a lot of scholarships on this list, the Tuition and Fee Exemption for Children of Deceased or Disabled Veterans Grant is a grant program funded by the Indiana Department of Education. This program was specifically created for students who both reside and plan to pursue a college degree in the state of Indiana. To maintain eligibility, students must remain enrolled in a degree program at a public university or college. If you qualify for this grant, you will have up to eight years to use the assistance, so you can pause your studies at any time and come back to school later as needed.
Read Also: How To Apply For Phd In Usa With Scholarship
Resources For Young Single Parents
Scholarships for Single Mothers & Fathers:
- Single Parents Scholarship. It is offered by the WSU and offers up to $1,000 awards to single parents with custody of one or more children.
- You must be a first-year student with a 3.0 GPA.
Park Foundation Scholarship.
- It is aimed at full-time single parents who are students with a clear financial need.
- You can receive from $200 to $1,000 of financial assistance if you have a good GPA and will complete at least 12 hours per semester.
Live Your Dreams Award.
- You can receive from $3,000 to $10,000 assistance if you are a single parent who has been through poverty, domestic violence, drug, or alcohol abuse.
- You must have a financial need and belong to a Soroptimist International territory.
Scholarships 4 Moms.
- You can receive $10,000 assistance to fund the school of your choice as a single mom by becoming a part of the foundation.
Scholarships for Minority Single Parents:
- If you are at least 30 years old and older, a single parent with children entering your freshman or junior college year, you can consider this $1,900 award.
- A minimum of 2.5 GPA is recommended. The minority students are in priority.
- It is aimed at Hispanic single parents with children who are enrolled in associates degree programs at the ACC.
- You must show a financial need and have a 3.0 GPA.